Like its navy, Scotland’s air force will probably be similar to The Royal Norwegian Air Force or The Royal Danish Air Force as Norway and Denmark have similar populations to Scotland. Norway is probably a closer model because it has a similar geography and territorial waters to Scotland.
Wikipedia lists the current and/or planned Norwegian aircraft inventory as:
- 46 General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon multirole fighter jet
- 52 Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II stealth multirole fighter jet
- 2 Dassault Falcon 200 electronic warfare jet
- 6 Lockheed P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft
- 4 Lockheed C-130J transport aircraft
- 18 Bell 412 helicopter
- 8 NHIndustries NH90 helicopter
- 11 Westland Sea King helicopter
- 16 AW101 Merlin helicopter (Sea King replacement)
- 16 Saab Supporter trainer
- 10 General Dynamics F-16B jet trainer
In addition, Norway currently has 2 command centres and 9 air bases.